I've always been irritated with how bright and diluted these watercolors are--I tend to like more subdued and intense colors. These are inexpensive paints (Cotman) so I can't expect too much!
I learned I have problems consistently controlling the paint/water ratio to get nice squares. Watercolor is challenging!
There we are--all 24 paint colors for your pleasure, labeled "warm" "medium" and "cool". Learning about combining warm and cool colors was quite a revelation to me. I'd always gone about my business, mixing as I pleased making a nice big mess. In fact, look at how messy my squares are--I admire people who have a natural knack for the neat, not my strong suit, but there is something so beautiful about constraint and order.
It took a long ass time to do all of these little dots. But I'm green with pleasure because, well, look at all the greens I can make! On the left are my two "warm" blues, mixed with my yellows, and on the right are my "cool" and "medium" blues. Using cool blues you can get away with more green as you get deeper into the reds, but with the warm blues you can only get down to about cadium yellow before they start going olive/brown. I discovered I prefer the cool yellow + warm blues best, followed by warm yellows + cool blues. Cool + cool is too bright, while warm + warm is too muddied. Again, mind blowing!!
So messy.....but don't these remind you of those edible dot candies stuck on paper?
No comments:
Post a Comment