Thursday, June 24, 2010

Art as healing therapy, one day a time

My health is finally stable enough, more or less, to give this daily art project another go. In fact, I consider it part of my healing process. At times over the past year I've felt absolutely no creativity at all, and fatigue aside it was the most frustrating thing. Now it's starting to nip at my heels and that's a clear sign I'm feeling better! Each idea deserves to be explored, or at least written down......now I need to learn techniques to realize their potential!

I think my first goal (aside from simply building the habit of daily art) will be to get through, cover to cover, three instruction books in watercolor. At the same time I'd like to start working on character sketches for some stories I've been working on, since I often get different ideas by drawing than by writing. For example, I started learning how to draw a hippo last year (see "older posts" at bottom of page) in preparing for a story about Gertrude, the hippo my parents owned in the 1970's.

This was done in October while trying to copy a sunset in a Claudia Nice book. Difficult, and needs a second go!



I'm working on a story that starts on a farm, and I've always been partial to chickens....
Let's see if I actually do something more than a doodle tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment