Sunday, July 4, 2010

Desert Triad

.

In progress my attempt to paint the window in the book using the "desert triad" combo of cerulean blue, indian red, and yellow ochre. I used my little pans of cerulean hue, light red, and yellow ochre. It was instructive to see how many colors one can make from these three.

I soon became frustrated with the lack of intensit y and overworked areas.





Learning to use "cool" highlights and background to compliment warmer bodies and shadows. Using just raw sienna (warm) and cerulean blue (cool).








For the life of me that shadow would not cooperate! Watercolor is hard :D There is supposed to be a blend of the blue at the base to darken and 'cool' the shadow and then it warms as it extends and becomes lighter. I loved learning this, just annoyed I couldn't 'work it'. Maybe a wash tomorrow? The black line is india ink with my paints overlayed to see how opaque/transparent they are. Only the yellow was even remotely close to being semi-opaque.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment